Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Crafty Endeavors

I've just started knitting convertible from the Spring '06 Knitty . It's a belated thank-you gift to my midwife, Ros, for Niesha's birth. Quite late, actually, as Niesha's going to be 6 months on Wednesday. Where does the time go?! In the time since her birth, Jeff has changed jobs and we've moved to a different city (my hometown). It's crazy . . . I almost feel like I've missed some of her babyhood! But then, with a toddler in the mix, especially one as intense as Katja, I don't suppose one ever experiences those moments of absolutely being lost in baby's eyes for hours in quite the same way after the first child.
Anyway, I got some beautiful yarn, it's Handmaiden Lady Godiva (50%silk, 50%wool). I'm not quite sure what the colorway is because I didn't get the tag after I had the lady at my LYS wind it into a ball for me . . . I think it's Origin. At any rate, I had gotten through 6 repeats of the pattern (or 3 buttonholes or 60 rows) when I realized I wasn't going to have enough yarn to make it as long as I wanted because it was very wide on size 7's with 103 sts (I have a habit of not checking guage unless an item is more tailored . . . usually it's fine, but sometimes it really backfires on me). So I frogged the whole thing and cast on 77 sts on size 9's instead. I'm only on about row 10 or so now.
I'm also planning out birthday gifts for my nieces and nephew . . . birthdays are in November, December, February and March. With my two girls both in January it makes for a busy five months! Until now, I've always ended up buying gifts, but no more. Frankly, I really love crafting, especially for kids, and I'm sure that if I give myself enough time, I'll be able to do it. I'm thinking to sew outfits for the girls (I have a HUGE stash of fabric, and I really need to start using it LOL), and probably knit a hat and scarf for my nephew - he's going to be 16 in March, so that really makes it hard to find/make gifts for him, but at least I have a bit more time for his.(originally posted to HerthElde, July 22)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home