Friday, September 26, 2008

But how will they learn they can't get what they want?

I waver back and forth, finding a balance between Waldorf-like schooling philosophies (which I don't completely identify with, some of it just seems so contrived) and John Holt/unschooling philosophies. Child-led learning makes so much sense to me.

I keep coming across "but if they get to follow their own interests, it'll be a rude awakening when they realize they won't get to do that in the real world". Obviously, I don't believe this. I enjoy my life tremendously and am pretty much exactly where I want to be right now, overall. Yes, there are some of the finer details I'd love to tweak . . . but overall, I'm really, truly happy.

And right now, I can't help but just be really sad for those people. People stuck where they are, simply because they've picked up somewhere that life isn't meant to be fun, and what they've got now is as good as it's going to get, so why bother looking to something else. Or that they have such a strong "work ethic" that they can't quit something they've committed to, no matter how miserable it's making them or how adversely it's affecting their health.

Life can be beautiful.

2 Comments:

Blogger lijhe said...

I feel sorry for those people too.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

ah ha! :) Great Post Mandy, time to update your blog!!!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home